Sunday 7 April 2013

My magazine double page, for The Guardian's Guide


--> I have placed my double page spread in The Guardian's Guide - a supplement with The Guardian on Saturdays which includes TV, cinema, theatre, comedy and music listings; as well as other articles regarding popular culture. The audience are more mature, and well educated, therefore are more suited towards a music documentary like my own. Because The Guide's listings are national, it also applies to my documentary in that way because it doesn't only cover London - or larger cities in the UK; which would all be featured in the whole series for the documentary.
I wanted my double page to have obvious relation to the poster, otherwise it would mean that they would look completely non related, although at the same time I didn’t want it to be the spitting image of it because it has to look independent and as if it was designed by someone else. Again I wanted the design to be very understated because of The Guardian’s readership being more mature – therefore not needing the same sort of stimulation as a magazine like NME which has a much younger audience.
I wanted the page to be as minimalistic as possible, therefore didn’t bring any completely new colours, and stuck to the black and white classic print apart from the green subheadings. I used green because it the eye is first drawn to the two top left images, both made up of more green which means that the images sit much more nicely and leads the eye across the article, drawing it in more.
One thing that I would change on the double page listings is that I haven’t used a byline/tagline to draw the reader in more straight at the start – although it is hard to see how it would have fitted in without breaking the aim of keeping the page very minimalist and above all else not looking cramped at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment